Wednesday, October 10, 2012

NYX Girls: Dreamy Glitter

Today, I have quite a cute and fun glitter to showcase. I personally like the NYX Girls line of nail polish a great deal and I am very excited that a local store is now carrying nearly the entire selection of polish shades. I have no idea why, but this particular stores sells them for only $1.25 a pop, but I'm not going to complain about quality nail polish for cheap.


Dreamy Glitter is a mixture of iridescent tiny round and hexagonal glitters, plus pale pink star shaped glitters all suspended in a clear base. The coverage is rather thin even though the formula is thick so you could definitely end up in a situation where you brush off all the glitter you had just applied trying to place those bigger star shaped glitters. In addition, those star glitters are tricky to coax out of the bottle as well. What is great about the formula is that there's enough time to work with the glitter since the clear base won't quickly turn into a streaky or gooey mess. That does mean that there is a bit more drying time needed, but not much.

Since I would usually automatically want to layer glitters like this over pastel type of colors, I decided to try the opposite. My base is Revlon Colorstay in Midnight, a deep teal creme. Although, I love the effect, photographing the color was a pain since teal type shades never come out true for me. However, in person, the combination is so whimsical and cute. The iridescent tone of the glitter takes on more of a golden and greenish glow because of my base shade. I did have to apply 2 to 3 layers of topcoat  though, which sounds excessive but the points on those stars are persistent in poking through and that can lead to the star glitter peeling off partially once a point gets caught on clothing and such.


If you're ever in San Francisco, I suggest you visit the Variety Shop, where I purchased my NYX polish and most of all my other NYX cosmetics too. L.A. Cosmetics and Red Cherry lashes are also available there among the hundred other random things they sell. They also have a second store a few blocks away on 7th Avenue which is just a newer version of their original store.

1 comment: