Monday, September 3, 2012

Maybelline Color Show: Metal Icon

Welcome back fall shades! I've been rather excited to be dipping into all my fall nail colors and the first one I decided to start with was Maybelline's new limited edition Color Show polish in Metal Icon.



To be honest, I had to spend quite a bit of time deciding on how I would describe this shade. At the moment, I'm satisfied with calling it a smokey gunmetal grey color with copper or bronze particles mixed in. If I spent anymore time trying to decipher the composition of this polish, I'd probably go cross-eyed quick. The coppery addition really warms up this polish while giving more depth and texture. I also really love the fact that this color is so wearable and matches with almost everything. It's definitely a classy but edgy shade without being too loud.

The application was wonderfully easy and smooth with this one. I did have to use 3 coats to have a completely even opaqueness though. Clean up was a bit tricky because all the little bits of shimmer are rather stubborn, but that seems to be a regular issue whenever I use foil type polishes anyways.


The one bummer is the fact that all the Color Show polishes are only 0.23 fl. oz. for $5.49 at my local Walgreens. Maybelline really skimped on the amount of product being sold with the Color Show line. The bottle shape is also deceiving since I thought it was around standard size when I purchased it and didn't bother checking the numbers. I later compared it to one of my Wet n' Wild Chrome bottles, which is 0.29 fl. oz and the Maybelline bottle looked like the bigger one. So I'd definitely wait for some sort of sale before picking up any more polishes for Maybelline in the future. In the mean time, since I already own Metal Icon, I'm going to enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is a pretty shade! At the moment I'm avoiding the Color Shows unless they have a really unique color. It really sucks that there is so little in a bottle! Very deceiving indeed! I've only bought the Color Shows at Wal-Mart or Target. They sell for around $2-$3! Can't imagine paying more than that lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I only picked this one up because it looked different than your usual metallic gray. But that price...unfortunately, my closest Target is actually in another city and all the new limited edition stuff gets bought up really quickly. People just really like to spend in the San Francisco Bay Area!

      Delete