Saturday, September 29, 2012

DIY Lace Twistbands or Ribbon Ties

I have to say, that I never anticipated the popularity of my DIY Twistband post. It was my first post to blogger and at the time, I figured that since I was able to successfully replicate these cute hair ties, I would share my knowledge. Very recently, a comment mentioned lace Twistbands and that had me considering my own attempt at lace ones. After my original post, I came across black lace foldover trim at my local fabric outlet and I bought a yard for $0.50 just to see if it would turn out well. FYI, one yard of trim can produce around 5 hair ties, so it's $0.10 a piece!


Since making my initial pair of lace ties, I gave one to a friend and consistently used the one I still possessed for months. I found that the lace design allows for more elasticity and eventually, my tie got all stretched out from use. In fact, from measuring, my tie was stretched out by 1/4 of an inch, as can be seen below.

Originally, there was 2 1/2 inches of trim below the knot. Now it measures around 2 3/4 inches.

So, let's get on with my tutorial for working with lace foldover trim and making it into a hair tie. You will need only three things for this craft, a pair of fabric scissors, a ruler, and foldover lace trim that is 5/8 of an inch in width.

Singer fabric scissors were what I had on hand. 


Now take your lace trim and measure around 8 1/2 or 9 inches and snip it. The length is really for how much loose trim you'd like to leave to create that ribbon-like appearance to your tie.



I eyeballed somewhere between 8 and 9 inches for mine.

After, fold your cut trim in half and tie a single basic knot near the side with loose ends. Unfortunately, the color black makes seeing the contrast difficult...



So here's an old photo of the knot needed!

As mentioned in my original post, I used an extra long piece to demonstrate the knot.

Be sure to leave 2 1/4 inches of trim below the knot. Since the structure of the lace trim tends to lead to a stretched out hair tie, I figured that shortening the length a bit will compensate for any extra length caused by stretching over time.


Lastly, cut a bit of the loose ends in a diagonal to create that ribbon appearance, and there you go! I find that these look super cute worn around the wrist as well as opposed to your usual elastic hair ties.


I hope that this was helpful because I fully realize that my instructions are probably really similar to my original post, but I decided that instead of cluttering up my first Twistband post with additional photos and info, a new one would be more organized. I at least hope that my tips of handling the lace version of foldover elastic trim was useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment