Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Balm Cosmetics: Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter

With all the hype that The Balm Cosmetics was getting for their Nude 'Tude eyeshadow palette, I couldn't help but purchase one for myself when it went it showed up at a discounted price on Hautelook. Of course, I also had to browse the rest of what was offered and I ended up with the highlighter too!



The Mary-Lou Manizer has quite the cheeky art design on its lid. The mug shot consists of a supposed "Mary-Lou" that's sporting a vintage style. The case itself is nice and sleek. There isn't much thickness to the compact and that also includes a decent sized mirror in the underside of the lid, though I really don't see myself tucking a highlighter compact in purse of all things. For $24 dollars, you receive 8.5 grams of product and since I purchased mine from Hautelook, I only spent half that amount. So I feel I was able to grab a good bargain on it, especially since this is a highlighter and meant to be used sparingly.


When I first swatched this highlighter, I was a bit disappointed at how shimmery and almost metallic it turned out to be. I prefer my highlighter to give me a subtle sheen instead of shiny shimmer. However, since I now have so much highlighter at my disposal, I was determined to find a use for it. I have to say that this highlighter is incredibly illuminating and if you wanted it to be, also very pigmented. I found the best uses for it were as an inner eye corner and cupid's bow highlight. Less frequently, I use this as an all over lid eyeshadow because it's so brightening, yet the champagne like shade keeps the look from being too frosty. I have also attempted to use it as a cheek highlight, but only when I'm wearing a matte blush and I also need to be really careful to have just a touch on my brush before applying.


The texture is absolutely fantastic. It's sort of velvety and soft to the touch and I usually just tap my finger in the center of the powder to pick up just enough to use for both inner eye corners.This highlighter also blends quite easily, leaving a reflective sheen with no obvious hard lines.


Overall, I'm happy with owning my Mary-Lou Manizer, but I don't think I'll be repurchasing because it's not quite the highlighter I was hoping for. Realistically, I'll probably never hit pan on this anyways since I need so little product to achieve the highlighting I want but I have so much of it in this one compact. If you're set on trying it this one out, I highly recommend getting it on sale to really get your money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment