Sunday, February 22, 2015

Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel: Refreshingly Clean Cleansing Cloths

So, not the most glamorous type of product to be reviewing, but such as essential one for many of us that use makeup.



A while back, I was lauding the wonderful uses of the Dickinson's witch hazel toner and now I'm back with a new product they've released. There have been some other random products the brand has put out, but those products didn't really fit in with my lifestyle, so I gave them a pass. But as I was wandering around my local Walgreens the other day, I found a new display with this little gem and I picked it up with the justification that I was low on my Olay Fresh Effects wipes.

I am one of those unlucky people with very sensitive skin when it comes to my relationship with cleansing cloth types of products. I've so far, tried 4 different brands before the Dickinson's one and my impressions ranged from, "it burns!" to "I can tolerate this." If you're wondering which ones I've tried, here's the short list:

The Body Shop - Vitamin E Gentle Facial Cleansing Wipes (burned and smelled too strongly)
Yes to Cucumbers Facial Wipes (burned)
Ole Henriksen - Nurture Me Cleansing Cloths (burned around the eyes but smelled lovely)
Olay - Fresh Effects S'wipe Out Cloths (no burning but eyes were irritated)

I really didn't bother with reviewing any of those since they just didn't work out for me. But I swore that when I found something affordable and it didn't irritate or burn my eyes, I would have to let others know about it. The Dickinson's brand impressed me so much that I would just have to say this is my Holy Grail cleansing cloth and I don't think I'll be experimenting with any others from now on.

Let's begin with effectiveness. I've removed a full face of makeup and most of my mascara and eyeliner with no problems. I like to start with my eyes first when the cloth is right out of the package and still fairly moist before moving on to the rest of my face. I don't use waterproof makeup, but my mom uses the Physician's Formula eyeliner pen that I remember being advertised as either water-resistant or waterproof. She had no problems getting all of it off with the cloth.

I also felt no stinging or burning sensation anywhere around my face and especially my eyes. Usually after I use a wipe, I have to rinse my face with water to remove the solution off to reduce irritation. But I didn't feel the need to at all with the Dickinson's cleansing cloths. I just felt clean and refreshed. Moreover, the scent is only that of witch hazel and I personally don't mind this scent at all.

Now, the best part about these cleansing cloths (well, besides the fact that my eyes were comfortable), is that the ingredient list was super short. I really did not expect that at all!


There's basically 5 ingredients in these cleansing cloths, which makes me question how it removed my makeup so well. The witch hazel and alcohol were standard in the toner so that was no surprise. I love aloe and that was another positive point to see that on the ingredient list. As for benzethonium chloride and Sodium Benzoate, one is an antimicrobial and the other is a preservative that is more commonly used in food. I'm not quite sure if it's the combination of it all or what, but nearly all of my makeup was removed with this product and I recognize the all the ingredients, so I decided not to think too hard on the "how."

If you happen to see these cleansing cloths around, I recommend giving it a try. They're under $10 and I think they're brilliant. And I just realized by looking at my photo above that this company doesn't test on animals! An even bigger plus for the brand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment